April 20, 2007

The Princess Project

I have a trememendous amount of compassion for kids who come from extrememly difficult backgrounds (I know, who doesn't?), but ever since I became a mom 2 years ago, I really did start wearing my heart around on the outside of my chest. So when one of my babysitters Sarah told me about a great organization where she is a volunteer, I didn't hesitate to send a note expressing my interested to get involved. (More on this later...) This is my year to "offically do something" instead of just "feel something" about these types of things.

  • I'm sharing this with you in the hopes that you may know someone, (or maybe you are that someone) who has some items below.
  • The Princess Project provides teenage girls who live in foster care, and often move from one family to another, with a night of pampering and postive memories by hosting a formal ball. The girls who attend receive a formal dress, shoes, make-up, jewerly, gift bags and tiara and are made to feel like true princesses for the night. They are pampered by professional makeup artists and hair stylists while volunteers, more importantly, work to promote their self confidence, give them positive experiences, attention and compassion (Sarah). After the big dinner and ball, the girls receive professional photographs from the night in personalized photo albums.

    The Princess Project currently needs the following donated:

    New, or like new formal dresses
    Shoes
    New make-up
    Jewelry
    Party purses
    Hair accessories

    If you know of anyone willing to donate these items (since Prom season is in full swing, now is a great time!), please contact Kelli Freeman at 602.740.1722 or email princess.project@hotmail.com.

No comments: